If you want to connect with people by putting yourself out there, I think having an authentic “About Me” on your Linkedin is one great way to do it.
I am an introvert and I don’t like talking about myself. I want to let my work speak do the talking. But this means that I lose out on the opportunity to meet some fantastic people because realistically no one has the time to see my work. I also don’t share my work publicly so there’s that problem too. (I’m working on getting better at this)
As I embark on this journey of sharing more of my work I wanted to share how I went about creating my “about me” section on LinkedIn
- First I read this article to get some ideas
- Then I jotted down the “Why”, “Who” and “What” of writing this “about me”
- Why am I writing this
- Who am I writing for
- What do I want them to walk away with
- Then I made a list of things I’d like for people to know about me
- Where I’m from
- What I’m currently working on
- What I’m passionate about
- How I landed here
- What I do or don’t love
- What i’m good at and what im trying to get better at
- Quirky stuff about me (e.g. i cry watching math videos because they are just so beautiful)
- Other stuff : things i’m reading, movies/tv shows i watched recently, etc
- Then I started to organize the writing into the above themes
- Once i got all the things down I started to simplify.
- Once it’s good enough publish! Don’t dilly dally
- Keep updating once every few months
And that’s it. Good luck on putting yourself out there.